So I’m always looking for helpful ways to incorporate “reality” into choosing the right career. We suggest a number of activities to “Know Yourself” at our website and I recommend adding one more to this list.
I found a helpful resource in Chapter 7, “Align the Practical Realities” of Tamara Erickson’s book, “Plugged In: The Generation Y Guide to Thriving at Work.” Although the book is directed to Generation Y (people born between 1980 and 2000), it has much to offer everyone. I got it at the library but it's reasonably priced on Amazon too. Ms. Erickson also has an excellent blog “Across the Ages.”
In this chapter, Ms. Erickson describes ways you might consider the following issues:
- Time (how you want to spend it),
- Rhythm (how do you like to work),
- Economic reality (financial needs),
- Challenge (willingness to take on learning new skills)
- Responsibility (interest in taking on leadership and management roles)