In it, Career Key author Dr. Lawrence K. Jones, NCC recommends five strategies for making the transition a success:
- Anticipate potential emotional and psychological challenges - make a Military to Civilian career plan to minimize the adjustment.
- Know yourself and your Military to Civilian Career Change- understand why you're leaving the military and what job satisfaction really means.
- Know your options in a Military to Civilian Career Decision - and identify career options that fit you best. Our valid career assessment can help.
- Make a Good Decision using a science-based career decision-making method; and
- Prepare for Cultural Differences - learn how military and civilian employers differ.
According to recent studies, one of the biggest challenges to veterans is translating their military skills to the civilian work world. In addition to several government sites that do an automated military to civilian skills translation, we recommend our job skills article:
Be Job and Work Skills Smart
It walks you through the process of identifying your skills, including ones you enjoy using most, and how to communicate them to employers. It includes a free, interactive "My Work Skills List" to fill out.
Other related articles that might interest you:
Choosing a Military Career