Career Key

Author: Career Key's President and CEO, Juliet Wehr Jones, GCDF, J.D.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Following my own career advice about job skills

Some of my recent posts focused on improving career options by gaining new job skills and keeping job skills fresh through volunteerism or internships. As proof that I follow my own advice, last week I started volunteering as an attorney with my neighborhood legal clinic on occasional Tuesday nights. Encountering subjects ranging from family law to unemployment compensation, I was reintroduced to reasons why I enjoyed having my own practice - but now without the tedious business side.

While I worked for ten years as a labor and employment lawyer, it's been several years since I met with street walk-ins and talked with people about their problems. I enjoyed it and my two hour commitment quickly ended. It was a relief to see that while a few of my "counseling" techniques were a bit rusty, they are coming back to me. And it doesn't hurt that I'm a bit of a "know it all" anyway. But if you've been reading this blog, you'd already know that!

No comments: