Career Key

Author: Career Key's President and CEO, Juliet Wehr Jones, GCDF, J.D.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Self-Employment & Entrepreneurship: Hope Springs Eternal


Self-employment and entrepreneurship are hot right now, in the movement for work/life balance and control over one's destiny (and cash flow). In the sinking ship that is our economy at the moment, entrepreneurs are our diversification trump card. The ones that grow our economy when big mortgage lenders, the Enrons, and big box stores bring it down. And they are alive and well.

When I go to the local Barnes and Noble or to the park with my son for him to play with train sets and sandcastles, I see at least a third of the adults are fathers. And when I talk to the other parents, many work part-time and for themselves. They're not K-Fed, or hangers on, but part of the flextime world.

Again and again, I see the advantages of self-sufficiency and flexibility - having the skills to work wherever you want, when you want. Self-employment and entrepreneurship can be your ticket to flextime success - it was for me at one time in my career. I'm just pleased to see daily reminders of hope in our economy. And my son enjoys his trips to the park!

No comments: