Career Key

Author: Career Key's President and CEO, Juliet Wehr Jones, GCDF, J.D.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Practice makes perfect: I hate it when Mom is right

Recently it's been hard to find time to blog. I'm preparing for my Career Key Canada presentation and exhibitor table at Cannexus 2009, Canada's national career development conference, which starts on Monday.

I've been addicted to TED and Slideshare watching better presenters than I am to improve my presentation skills. Even though I practiced law and did courtroom litigation for a number of years, I still have to refresh my presentation skills. And just because you're a lawyer doesn't make you a good public speaker. I was also reminded that practicing, out loud any oral presentation is absolutely crucial.

And as you can see from the photo of the wonderful Julia Child and her monkfish at left, practicing over a few days gave me the clarity that this was not the right picture of her for my presentation. Associating monkfish, no matter how great it tastes, with my company is perhaps unwise. Don't get the Julia Child, Career Key Canada analogy? Sorry, have to attend my Cannexus presentation to find out!

If you're interviewing for a job, conducting an informational interview, or any other oral presentation, I highly recommend practicing what you'll say in front of the mirror or someone else. It takes me a few "takes" before I realize I can talk less and more effectively say the same thing. And you gain confidence each time you present it, which makes success a self-fufilling prophecy.

My mother told me practice makes perfect - when I was learning the piano. And like any good daughter, don't I hate she was right! About a great many things...

No comments: