Career Key

Author: Career Key's President and CEO, Juliet Wehr Jones, GCDF, J.D.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Why Maps (and related promising careers) Still Matter

As I was working on the blog's new Promising Careers list, I came across several map related occupations (see list below) and I admit thinking at the time - really? I love maps and nautical charts and prefer using them to GPS, but I admit I was a little skeptical about promising job outlooks for careers in geography and cartography.

Then this morning I heard this fascinating public radio program (KUOW Seattle): "The History and Adventures with Maps with Ken Jennings." (The podcast is free) It really made me think about maps' roles in history and where we are going now with Google Maps and technology. The program gives insight into why maps are still relevant today. Ken Jennings's infectious enthusiasm about maps makes for a great interview. If you liked the movie "National Treasure" and making history come alive, you'll enjoy it.

Promising Careers involving maps...
Cartographers and Photogrammetrists (Realistic Personality Type)
Mapping Technicians (Realistic)
Surveying and Mapping Technicians (Realistic)
Geographic Information Systems Technicians (Investigative)
Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists (Investigative)
Geographers (Investigative)

Promising Realistic Careers
Promising Investigative Careers

For more tips on learning more about certain occupations, visit our website article, "Learn about Occupations."

No comments: