Career Key

Author: Career Key's President and CEO, Juliet Wehr Jones, GCDF, J.D.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Choose a Career Using Your Motivated Skills

Bernard and Jean Haldane pioneered a powerful new approach to career planning (see the remembrance blog post last week). We will remember their important contribution.


Their basic method was to help people identify the skills that they enjoy using -- a “motivated skills” analysis. Then, with this knowledge, choose a career that uses these skills.


Many of their ideas were popularized in Richard Bolles' What Color is Your Parachute. My experience in using it was very positive.


I first came across it in Bernard’s book How to Make a Habit of Success (1981). A review of this book on Amazon.com describes its promise and limitations,

"This book was a Godsend for me in my search for my new career. It showed me how to identify the things in my past that were the building blocks of a long, successful and enjoyable career. It works best for methodical people who follow its instructions in detail. The results are well worth the effort. I have given copies to all of my children and many of my friends."

You can learn how to do this analysis in our article, Identify Your Skills (see the second page). Being “methodical” is important. Study this article carefully.


Many find it hard to recognize their personal achievements, to analyze and articulate the skills involved, and to relate the results to their careers.


Ideally, you want to work with an analytical person trained in this process or to attend one of the workshops offered by the Center for Dependable Strengths. [Note: “Motivated Skills” now called "Dependable Strengths" -- in deference to cultures that might find the former confusing or objectionable.]


For more resources, Amazon.com has a bibliography of Bernard and Jean Haldane’s work.

1 comment:

joharahman said...

I think the posting will be a great help especially for new graduates to choose the right career.

My experience, suggest that it is more difficult to adjust career if you realized too late, you have family to consider, children schooling etc.

joha
jobs skills blog