- First, know how your personality relates to starting a business and choosing the right small business to start.
- Second, match top businesses that interest you from your favorite lists to your Holland personality types as part of your science-based, 3 step action plan to make an informed business decision.
Earlier this year I wrote a very popular blog post about matching your personality with the “Best Career” lists that get published every year. Similarly, you can narrow your search for the best business ideas to ones in areas that match your personality. Periodically, business media outlets publish online lists of hot or best business ideas. See for example (we have no business relationship with these sources):
“2008 Hot List: Best Businesses, Markets, Trends and Ideas,” Entrepreneur.com
“Top 20 Home-Based Businesses,” AllBusiness.com
Here's a step by step way to match your personality with the current “best” business ideas:
- Take the Self-Employment Key (SEK) test, and select the businesses for your personal job options list that you'd like to explore further for your top two Holland personality types,
- Select business ideas that interest you from your favorite “Best” list,
- In addition to using your SEK test's personal job option list, assign each business idea that interests you to a Holland type you think matches. Be sure to also look at Career Key's full online list of jobs, organized by Holland type,
- If you don't find the exact same business or occupation title, look for similar ones (see my method below).
- “Wine,” or Winemaker (E), we show you similar titles like Bartender and Food Service Management,
- “Biotech and Health Tech” (I), we show you similar titles like Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting and Biomedical Engineer, and
- “College Planning... college-planning consultants, specialized tutors, application experts, financial planners” (S, E), we show you similar titles like Counselors and Financial Analysts and Personal Financial Advisors.
Please let me know how this matching process works for you. I welcome your questions and suggestions.